Sunday, August 14, 2011

Cousin Rachel to the Rescue!!!

I was already in Bay View Michigan when I started to worry about the passports. We had been so many places already that summer, DC, Cleveland, Louisville, Nashville, Chicago, and Cleveland again- could they have slipped out in one of those places? David had mentioned that he had not seen them but I reassured him they were in Louisville safe and sound. I had been organized up to this point, I was sure they were in that blue backpack along with the prescriptions, receipts, and visa. Or was I sure?
We arrived in Louisville Thursday, August 11th, after a lovely trip up to northern Michigan and some great family time. The first morning after arriving I headed upstairs to look for the passports while David returned the rental car. I looked… and looked… and looked- NO PASSPORTS!!!
Trying to breathe normally, I faced my husband- Oh by the way, no passports sweetheart! David enjoys working with his hands and therefore was in charge of getting our DC apartment ready for the move out while I did all the organization work and YAV paperwork. In the move I had one job- DO NOT LOSE THE PASSPORTS! David, to his credit did not yell or even slip in an angry comment, he just started looking. An hour later, the house ripped apart, we decided that they were not in Louisville. They must be in Cleveland??
As David continued to search, I begin to calculate how long it would take to get a passport and visa. We had five more business days until we needed to leave for orientation. We would need to go to the DC passport office and then the Kenyan embassy. Lets see, 6 hours to Cleveland where the search would continue, then six to DC and twelve back to Louisville. That would be a tough week and a lot of money!
Just when hope seemed lost, I remembered… cousin Rachel is in Cleveland! A quick call to Rachel sent her to my family’s house where she quickly located the important documents. Pa sent them overnight shipping and they are now kept safe somewhere by David. I am not allowed to move them.

Thank you God for cousins!

No comments:

Post a Comment