Thursday, September 22, 2011

Kibera

             Over the last two weeks David and have tried various times to write our experiences of Nairobi so far.  We have written blogs and then, in defeat, deleted them.  How is it possible to capture our experiences?  My only comparable experiences is to relate the poverty similar to my experiences in  Haiti, the generosity of the people to my experiences in Appalachia and the beauty cannot be even compared to top-of-the-line travel magazines. How can we do Kenya justice?
We have experienced many highs in our last two weeks.  We have some snorkeling on a beautiful reef where we saw dolphins, an eel, and hundreds of beautifully colored fish.  We have fed giraffes, monkeys, ridden camels, held baby goats seen crocodiles, baboons, zebras, buffalo, and much, much more.  We have learned so much of the history of Kenya.  We had gone to numerous lectures and our knowledge grows with everyday and every question.  The people here are amazingly friendly and generous, even when they do not have much to give.  They help me extend my little Swahili and give me thumbs up as I run past looking ridiculous in the morning. Today David and I met a bishop and I knew without a doubt that Jesus was in this man. 
            We have also had many lows; felt anger at God, government, and ourselves.  We have had so much trouble processing the misery we are seeing among the poor.  We have a lot of poverty in the USA but it is segregated into certain areas of cities or towns and therefore easier to ignore or deny.  Here poverty is inescapable.  (Maybe if it were this way in the US, we would have done more to help our brothers and sisters.) 
Today, we visited Kibera, the third largest informal settlement, (or slum) in the world and my own world was shaken.  We visited a school in the settlement.  Since I am not finding the words to describe the few hours I spent with those children, here is my journal entry for today:

I will not forget you.
I will not forget your little head peeking in at the children eating.
Or your tummy, extended in hunger,
You grasping her hand in hope of a meal.

I will not forget you.
Little eyes looking at me among the dust, waste, and darkness of your school.
Hope among hopelessness, smiles and laughter among desperation.

I will not forget you.
Jesus is in you, working though you.
I can see Him clearly through you; this is where He would choose to be.
Your hands are His.
You humble and honor me.

I will not forget you.
Voice so soft, words so slow.
Father dead, hope dwindles.
Sweet, smart, cherished child- God loves you!
I will not forget you and I will not forget your words.

The informal settlement, as I said before is the third largest in the world.  The government has no programs, schools, or charities helping the 1.3-1.6 million people who live there.  These people make an average of less than one dollar a day and some, no more than five cents a day.  Every election the government promises help, taxes the people heavily, and does nothing.  The churches, mosques, and NGOs help where they can, building schools and health centers but the life, as you can maybe imagine is very hard.  A dollar will get you a loaf a bread, not too much more. 

Today, as I saw a piece of life in the settlement I was, and am, mad.  How are we allowing people to live this way?  Are we not all children of God?  God’s children are not meant to go hungry?  More than anything- WHAT CAN I DO??? Why am I suppose to see this?  Why can I not DO anything?  In this case I conclude I CAN do something.  I will tell you what I saw as honestly as I can.  I will post pictures of what I see both good and bad.  Perhaps, together, we will at least open our eyes to the plight of people in Kenya and hopefully also much closer to home in the US. 

 
“…But the poor person does not exist as an inescapable fact of destiny.  His or her existence is not politically neutral, and it is not ethically innocent.  The poor are a by-product of the system in which we live and for which we are responsible.  They are marginalized by our social and cultural world.  They are oppressed, exploited, proletariat, robbed of the fruit of their labor and despoiled of their humanity.  Hence the poverty of the poor is not a call to generous relief action, but a demand that we go and build a different social order.”
                                                        Gustavo Gutierrez, The Power of the Poor in History

Thank you (asante sana) for reading, I promise the next post will not be of the pipeline explosion, or the informal settlements, but of something lighthearted and fun.  Perhaps we will blog of our time in Mombassa! 

4 comments:

  1. Amy and David--Thank you for your post. It sounds like your hearts are being broken from all the poverty and injustice you are witnessing. I think that a broken heart must be a necessary step in the formation of a truly loving heart--altho I'm sure that's small consolation for you at this time.

    When I have seen/been in situations that have been so infuriating for the obvious unnecessary suffering, I have been comforted and guided by sayings from Good Ones of Old:

    Sufi story: Past the seeker, as he prayed, came the crippled, the beggar and the beaten. And seeing them, the holy one went down into deep prayer and cried, "Great God, how is it that a loving creator can see all these things and yet do nothing about them?" And out of a long silence, God said: "I did do something about them. I made you."

    And, more to the point for you at this time, advice from Mother Theresa: "We are called not to be successful, but FAITHFUL. We can do no great things, only small things with great love."

    I know that you both will be doing myriads of "small" things with great love throughout your experience in east Africa.

    First Prez of Scottsburg sends all our our love.
    Carol Dunn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy and David! Thank you for sharing this beautiful post. You described everything so colorfully I feel like I've just had an hour discussion with you about your experiences after reading this blog. It sounds like you are having a very exciting time but encountering a lot of challenges as well. I could hardly read the poem Amy wrote because I was crying through it - I never knew Amy was such a poet!

    Keep up the news Amy and David! Sending much love to you both...
    <3 Beks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you guys for this post. I agree with Beks' comments completely... love you two so much, praying for you and those we're learning about from you. Lots of love, Han

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy and David, you are in my prayers! You are conveying it all in perfect detail -- thank you! Your pain is palpable, and your joy is, too. If you ever run in to Father John Lange in Kibera, pass along a hello from me. He was the parish priest in my village in Tanzania, and has been in Kibera for 15 or 20 years. He is an American Maryknoll missionary, and a man with a wonderful heart. He helped me during some tough times. God is blessing you and others through you! Your first post reminded me of a question my Tanzanian "sister"/housemate asked me when she visited us in the U.S.: "Kwanini Mungu anapenda wazungu kuliko Waafrika?" All the evidence seemed to point in that direction. Kwanini indeed. Mimi sielewi. Hatuwezi kuelewa mambo ya Mungu, si ndiyo? Tunaweza ku fanya kazi yake, tu. That's what you are doing.
    Wako,
    Chris McCandless

    ReplyDelete